JAVMA News July 1, 2019 Volume 255 No. 1
Pets can travel on commercial airlines in three ways:
- In the Cabin
- As checked Baggage
- As manifest cargo
Virtually all U.S. airlines accept pets as manifest cargo except for Southwest and JetBlue.
Stresses of flight on animals:
- Rapid acceleration
- Sensation of lift
- Quick stopping
- Pressure changes
Tips for pet owners flying with their pets:
- Make sure the crate is the appropriate size for your pet. They should be able to sit, stand and turn around naturally. Make sure there is adequate air flow and ventilation.
- Make sure your pet is content to be in the crate
- Make sure your pet is healthy when traveling
- Book the most direct flight possible
- Check the temperatures to and from your destinations.