Always a good idea every few months to give some tips on cat litter for our furry friends.
Did you know…Cat litter was developed in 1947. Before that cats used sand or dirt.
Rule of thumb:
- 1 litter box for each cat plus one additional extra large box. So 2 cats in your home should have 3 boxes.
- Litter boxes should be one and a half times the length of your cat (from the nose to the base of the tail).
- Many older cats don’t like covers over the litter box.
- Choosing the best location
- Your cat’s first choice of location is a private area, away from lots of foot traffic by the family.
- Avoid placing food and water near the litter box.
- If you have a multi-level home, think about a litter on each level
- If you have multiple cats, there should be at least 1 litter for each cat
- Laundry rooms or spare bedrooms make ideal out of the way locations
- Clean, Clean Clean
- the easiest way to avoid cats going outside the litter box, is to keep them very clean! Try to scoop every day.
- Baking soda added to the litter box as well as putting an open box in the room of the litter box will help absorb unwanted odors.
- Wash the actual box once a month with soap and hot water.
Try these two rules and life may ease with you and your kitty’s litter issues.