September 24-30 is National Deaf Dog Awareness Week.
Let’s give you a few fun facts on this very important issue in your dog.
- Deaf dogs can still bark!
- The most common breeds to be susceptible to deafness are: australian shepherds, boston terriers, boxers, dalmatians, german shepherds, and cocker spaniels, maltese, and small breed poodles.
- You can still teach commands to a deaf dog.
- Deaf dogs are not “unhealthy”
- Just because they are suffering from a loss of hearing doesn’t mean they are going to NOT live as long as a dog with perfect hearing.
- Deaf dogs may startle easier if you wake them from napping, but will be calm upon waking when they wake on their own.