We all tend to have a skewed view of what a healthy weight level is for ourselves or our pets! Do you fall into this category?
- 9 out of 10 pet owners believe their pet’s weight is in a normal weight.
- More than 50% of US pets are overweight.
- Excess weight can decrease your pet’s life expectancy by 2 1/2 years.
- As little as 5# of excess weight can put your dog at risk for various diseases.
- Overweight cats are 4 times more likely to develop diabetes.
Ways to help keep your pet in a healthy weight range or slowly reduce weight.
- Check your treats for your pets. How many calories are in each one? And look at the ingredient label; some have a lot of sugar and sodium added.
- Switch to no calorie bones as treats.
- Other low calorie treats include carrots, green beans, watermelon and popcorn.