So why is chocolate poisonous for dogs?

So why is chocolate poisonous for dogs?


Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao.  It contains caffeine and theobromine which are toxic to animals.  When eaten your pet can experience mild to severe symptoms leading to complications and even death.

Symptoms include:  vomiting, diarrhea, fever, twitches, rapid breathing, stiff muscles, low blood pressure and seizures.

Many don’t realize that there are types of chocolate that are better or worse for your pet.

  • Milk chocolate has the least cacao in it, therefore will have the smallest reaction to your pet.
  • Semi-sweet chocolate is the middle of the road per say in toxicity to animals.  This means that it doesn’t take as much ingestion of semi-sweet to cause toxicity
  • Bitter Chocolate , baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate have the highest concentration of cacao.  Because of this high concentration, only a small amount ingested can have devastating results.

Please call us if your pet gets into chocolate.  Dr. Flanders can advise what your best steps are and what to watch for over time.  The chocolate toxicity can be damaging or weakening to the organs.

Comments are closed.